The death of a construction worker in Suffolk who contracted a respiratory infection while in hospital could have a significant impact on the industry, according to industry experts.
The health and safety regulator has issued a notice to three construction firms which have contracts to install and operate the new buildings in Suffolk and Essex.
It is understood that the construction workers contracted bronchitis while working at the site in March.
A spokesman for the construction industry body said: The risk to the workers in the current health and work-related incidents is significant.
They are in a position where they are exposed to the potential risks associated with the air pollution.
There are a number of measures that can be taken, including reducing the number of workers and changing the work sites, which is essential.
All three companies are due to appear before the Health and Safety Executive’s air pollution control officer next week.
In the last week, three people in England have contracted air pollution after working in Suffolk or Essex.
One man died in Woking, another in Norwich and another in Norfolk.
Five more people have contracted bronchiectasis and a fifth has contracted pneumonia.
Air pollution control officers are due on Friday to issue the latest warning, which will be followed by a hearing next week, in a bid to stop the spread of the disease.
One of the four firms involved in the construction contracts is Gensler, which has been contracted to build the five new homes.
Two other companies are the RMS Group and the SNCO Group.
Gensler has been running construction in Suffolk since 2011 and Essex since 2014.
Suffolk has been building homes since 2009 and Essex has been working with the firm since 2015.
Mr Dickson said that although the company was aware of the risk to its workers, it had been providing the necessary training and support.
The company has a long-standing track record of safety and is confident in the systems that it has in place and will be able to continue to operate safely.”